Wednesday, November 11, 2009

GOES TO THE MOVIES by Stephen King

‘Goes to the Movies’, is a book contains five short stories that already filmed, made by the one and only Stephen King. This is my first King’s book. I thought I could start reading this first, besides, all my friends told me King is awesome. From every King’s collection, I decided to read this book for my lazy, breezy weekend. I thought it would be relaxing.


I was WRONG.


My lazy, breezy weekend suddenly turns into a creepy, scary weekend… and those are the feelings I couldn’t stop…’cause I CAN’T STOP READING THIS BOOK, for God’s sake…!!


The first story is ‘1408’. For those who already saw the movie, well… The movie is great and I won’t be ashamed to tell you, I was freaking out. The story, unexpectedly, is super-short, but it creep me out as much as the movie did. Mike Enslin (a writer who writes his experiences sleeping in creepy places, a very cynical person) is taking a visit to room 1408 at Dolphin Hotel in New York for his new book. Room 1408, is a place that never opened for public, simply because almost everybody sleeps there is died…or dying…or blind… Let’s just say bad things happen there. But this Mike insists to stay there. And the horror begins. Hotel room is surely is a good place for terror!


The second one is ‘Mangler’. I always hate big machine, and in this story, mangler (a machine that used to fold and dry laundry) become a big, scary murder that seems like eating everything. It kills people, and severed their hands, being possessed by evil. The story that comes from police officers-point of view is interesting, weird though, but still… Stephen King is the king of details. I can imagine the poor woman who got stuck in, struggling to go out, while the machine is trying to fold her and steaming her. Yuck. I actually stop eating my dinner while reading this story.


‘Low Men in Yellow Coats’ is the next story. Titled as ‘Hearts in Atlantis’ for the movie, this story is pretty long. And I don’t know why, a little boring for me. The first two stories I read are fast-paced and not puzzling at all. I need my brain to work up a little while I read the story about mysterious people who tried to do ‘I-don’t know-what’, and decided to stop. I am not into mysterious guys who hurt little kids. And I got distractions. But for those who actually not in the house with dogs begging for playing, having a lot of time to read, I think you'll be interested!


When I read ‘Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption’, I love the story. It’s about life in prison. I always interested in that scene. The story is told by Red, a guy who could supply anything from outside the prison, and Andy, his costumer. Both of them were charged for wife-murder (again, details!). Andy tried to escape from Shawshank, and there are a lot of interesting things going in that subject that makes this story worth-read. Seriously.


People said, save the best for last. That is so true, since the last story in this book is… The famous ‘Children of The Corn’! Yeay! I cannot comment any further. I love the story as I adore the movie. I’m so relieved my family didn’t grow corn for living—no offense, but it is scary. Read it for yourself!

Now I start to fall in love. I already in love with Mr. Tolkien, Clive Barker, Michael Scott, Mitch Albom, and here come the new guy, Mr. Stephen King. I would definitely read his other books. Now I’m reading Misery, and its…good! I’ll make sure I reviewed it after I finished.


*My poor boyfriend. He’s in my 7th list of ‘Guys-In-My-Life’. He comes after Hugh Jackman, though. Hahahaha.


SASMAYA

No comments:

Post a Comment